Tournament Rules

The tournament is a 5 round tournament.  The tournament format is swiss style, with 3 scenarios each round to choose from.


GENERAL

- ABS's are cumulative if not stated otherwise.

- The official end time for round 2 and 4 (Friday and Saturday evening) is 00:00. You can play as long as you want, but you should  discuss this, and set an endtime for your game, with your opponent before you start to play. The player that wants to end earlier has veto.


RULES

The tournament uses the official ASL Rules, 2nd. edition, with the exceptions of the TOURNAMENT SSR's as mentioned below


TOURNAMENT SSR's (appliccable to all scenarios)

- Kindling is NA.

- If the scenario contains OBA the owner will get a minimum of one black chit draw. Meaning, if the two red chits first then the second red chit is considered a black chit and it will be your final fire mission. 

- In all scenarios with building control, building hex control or building location control rubbled building hexes still counts for Victory Condition purposes. Note, falling rubble outside original building hexes does not count for Victory Condition Purposes. 


IFT

The IFT will be default firetable used. If both sides agree you may use the IIFT. 


PAIRING PRINCIPLES

a. Round 1

Players are sorted according to Euro Rating (http://www.asl-area.org/). Not rated players will be sorted as Rating 1200. The upper half will be randomly matched to the lower half. The directors will try to see to that regulary daily opponents will not be matched in Round 1.


b. Round 2–5

Players with equal win/loss record will be randomly matched. 

Swiss style means that in each round, you will play an opponent who has approximately the same amount of points as you (ie has won/lost about the same number of games as you).


POINTS

When you play a match you will get 3 points for winning, 1 point for a draw and 0 for losing.


Swiss style means that in each round, you will play an opponent who has won / lost about the same number of games as you. When you play a match you will get 3 points for winning, 1 point for a draw and 0 for losing.


CHOOSING WHICH SCENARIO TO PLAY

For the Selection of Scenarios, both Participants secretly record their preference for the three available scenarios: 

(1) First Preference Scenario (scenario title)

(2) Second Preference Scenario (scenario title)

(-) Deleted Scenario (scenario title)

 

Opponents then reveal their preferences simultaneously and use the following sequence:

 1. No one will have to play a Scenario he has Deleted. Therefore, when the players Delete different Scenarios, they will automatically play the only non-Deleted Scenario.

2. When both players Delete the same Scenario and have the same First Preference, they will play the scenario of their First Preference.

3. When both players Deleted the same Scenario, but have a different First Preference, they will roll a die to randomly determine which of these two Scenarios to play..

 

CHOOSING SIDE

After the Selection of Scenarios, the Selection of Sides takes place. This is done with the "Australian Balance System" (ABS). Both Players will secretly write down their ABS bid for this scenario. They reveal simultaneously and decide as follows:

1) If players bid different sides, each plays the side and the handicap level bid.

2) If both players bid the same side, the player bidding the higher handicap level plays the side and level bid, and the other player playts the other side at handicap level 0.

3) If players bid the same side and handicap level, low DR plays the side and level bid; high DR plays the other side at level 0.


For those who are unfamiliar with ABS, this is how it works:

Instead of one, there will be four levels of balance to each side. To decide who plays which side, each player secretly bids how much he wants to give up to play a given side. It is not possible to choose nothing / blank, you have to choose a side . The four options are ; a given side but level 0 balance, level 1, level 2, or level 3. Each level will strengthen the enemy forces or weaken your own. For example in a British/German scenario, which you feel favors the Germans very much, you could chose G3 (German level 3). If players chose the same side (G1 and G3), the player who has chosen the higher number, gets to play that side, yielding the balance provisions to the other player. If both players have chosen the same side and balance level, roll a die to determine who gets to play what, and the loser gets the balance. If players have chosen different sides, both balance levels are in effect.


 

ROLLING THE DICE

Some kind of dice-rolling-equipment is required. You can use a dice-cup, throw the dice into a glass, use a dice-tower, or throw the dice into a box or something similar. Whatever the method used, your opponent must be able to see the result at the same time that you are.


DECIDING GAMES

If two players are unable to finish a game within the allotted time, they have to decide the outcome of the scenario, using one of these three methods:


  • Mutual agreement, ie the players agrees on a winner or a tie.
  • Roll the dice.
  • Let the Organizers decide the game.
  • If the players cannot agree on a result, or if at least one of the players does not want to roll the dice for the victory, then the organizers decides the match in the following manner:


Three judges are selected from among the other players in the tournament and/or the organizers. The organizers should strive to find judges with the following characteristica, but the amount of qualified judges available might make that impossible.

a. Players/organizers with sufficient rules/gaming experience to evaluate the situation.

b. Players/organizers whom is either not participating in the tournament or whom has lost at least one game (thereby giving them no particular interest in favoring one side or the other).

c. No ties of personal friendship or similar (or the opposite) between the judge and any of the implicated players.

The players are asked to accept the judges. If at least one of the players involved cannot accept a judge, a reason must be given, and if reasonable a new judge is selected instead. This process is repeated until both the players and the organizers are satisfied. The organizers has the final word in selection of judges. One of the judges is appointed head-judge.

Each of the implicated players gets 3 minutes each, to give his assessment of the situation, as well as explain how he is going to win the game. During the players presentation, the judges may ask brief questions, but should take care not to give the player ideas that he would not have thought of himself. This presentation is done one player at a time, without the presence of the other player.

Each judge then secretly writes down his evaluation of each players chances of winning the game, should the match have continued with no time limit. This evaluation is stated in increments of 5% (i.e. 67% could not be chosen - either 65% or 70% must be chosen instead). The sum of the judges evaluation of the two players winning chances must be 100%. Each judge must make this evaluation on his own, without discussing the situation with anybody, including the other judges.

When all judges have decided (i.e. written down) their judgement, the head-judge calculates the average of the three judgements. The outcome of the match is decided based on this average:


0% - 40% Loss

>40% and <60% Draw

60% - 100% Win

Example: Judge A gives player 1 a 40% chance of winning and player 2 a 60% chance. Judge B votes 35/65 and judge C votes 40/60 respectively. Player 1's score is 38,33% ((40+35+40)/3) and player 2's score is 61,67% ((60+65+60)/3). Since player 2's average evaluated winning chance is equal to or greater than 60%, he wins and he gains three points and player one gains zero points. If player 2 had an average slightly lower than 60%, the game would have been a draw, with only one point awarded for each player.


It is the responsibility of the head-judge to inform the players of the conclusion, and bring the result slip to the tournament organizers.


DETERMINING WINNER AND RUNNER UPS

The winner of the tournament is the last undefeated person in the tournament (a draw also counts as a loss in this context). Please note that is is therefore possible for a winner to be declared before the last round of the tournament. The rank of all other players is determined by their points at the end of the tournament. For players with equal scores, the following tiebreakers are used, in the listed order:


1. Round where the player lost his first game (the later the better).

2. Round where the player had his first draw (the later the better).

3. The average World-rating of opponents played, based on rating at tournament start.


If all of the tiebreakers are a tie as well, the two players in question share the same rank.



PRIZES

There will be prizes for the winner and runner ups.



• © Hosted by IT-System